8/15/2013

Sausage Balls

"The Pig, if I am not mistaken, supplies us sausage, ham, and bacon. Let others say his heart is big, I think it stupid of the Pig."
- Ogden Nash

Pork, as a whole, is not my favorite meat.  I do enjoy bacon (if prepared properly, especially over a campfire), and sausage (as long as it isn't full of gristle and stringy meat), and I love good pork barbecue (or Beerbecue).  I am not a fan of pork chops, though, because they seem to be too difficult to get done without overdoing it.  I did recently fry my first batch of Pork Chops, and I served them with homemade Biscuits and gravy, and they turned out pretty good.  I love me some ham, though!  My preferred way to eat sausage is disguised within something else:  gravy, meatloaf, on pizza, or in this recipe for sausage balls.

Sausage Balls


1 lb bulk sausage of your preference, I used regular but Sage is good
1 1/2 - 2 cups Bisquick baking mix (I used 1 3/4 cups)
1 1/2 cups mozzarella, shredded
1 1/2 cups cheddar, shredded

Let all ingredients come to room temp before beginning.

1. Mix all ingredients together by hand or in a stand mixer.  Start with least amount of Bisquick.  If you need to add more, add it after you have mixed everything together.




2. Form into 1 TB balls - small walnut size (you should get 60).  Place on greased, foil-lined baking sheet with a rim (jelly roll pan).


3. Bake in 350° oven for 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 165°.


I like to serve mine with Ranch salad dressing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment