6/25/2013

So Easy My Four Year Old Made It Cherry Cobbler

"Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart." 
- Erma Bombeck

"I don't think a really good pie can be made without a dozen or so children peeking over your shoulder as you stoop to look in at it every little while." 
- John Gould

If you've read any of my other posts, you know I only use one quote, but this one just screamed for 2.  The first reminds us that sometimes we should eat our dessert first - who cares if we spoil our appetites once in a blue moon?  The second was appropriate since this is a pie, and my daughter (who was 4 at the time - she is now a very grown up 5) helped make this and asked eagerly, and frequently, if the pie was ready.  She never calls it cobbler, but when she asks to make a pie I know what she means.  The first one of these I made was with a group of kindergartners I had at an after school daycare.  We simply dotted the butter on top of the cake mix on top of the pie filling, and you can certainly do that.  However, I find that the butter does not melt evenly, or soak into the cake mix evenly, so you end up with dry spots.  Who wants powdery, dry spots of un-buttery cake mix crust on a cobbler?  Not this gal.  So I switched it up, and this is what I made.

So-Easy-My-Four-Year-Old-Made-It Cherry Cobbler


1 Duncan Hines Butter Golden cake mix (or other yellow or white mix)
1 stick butter or margarine, room temperature
1 15oz can Cherry (or other fruit) pie filling (larger if you really like fruit)

1. Spread pie filling in bottom of 9"x13" baking dish.


2.  In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter into dry cake mix using a wire whisk attachment on a handheld or stand mixer.  Mix until it is crumbly and resembles cornmeal.



3.  Sprinkle the cake mix over the pie filling.  Using the tines of a fork like a rake, spread the cake mix out so there are no obvious high spots.  Bake in a preheated 350° oven for at least 35 minutes, but this one took longer.  Check it at 35 minutes, and then add cook time 5 minutes at a time.  You want the crust to be a nice golden brown and a little crunchy around the edges.


 4.  Serve hot with a scoop of ice cream and watch out for cherry pits.

No comments:

Post a Comment