6/18/2013

Sauce for Cake

"You can say this for ready-mixes - the next generation isn't going to have any trouble making pies exactly like mother used to make."  
- Earl Wilson

You won't find this in the ready-mix aisle of your grocery store.  This isn't a pie, but it is a dessert topping not too many people are familiar with.  It was passed down from my great-grandmother to my mom, and it has been a long-standing dessert favorite in our household.  When I talk about cake and sauce I generally receive a look of either disgust or you-must-be-joking.  I am not joking.  Again, like chocolate gravy, it is an old-timey country, mountain thing.  Think of it as sweet gravy, but for cake.  It is best served over warm, from-scratch, vanilla cake.  In a pinch, though, any variety of yellow or white cake mix will work.  Butter Golden or French Vanilla are our go-to's when we want the sauce without the time-consuming effort of making a scratch cake.  Don't knock it until you try it, either.  It is a sweet, warm, vanilla-ey sauce that you will want your cake swimming in.  We never ever ever ever make a single batch, we always double, but more often triple it.  It keeps in the fridge for a couple of days (but I doubt it will last that long), and you just pop it in the microwave on medium to reheat it.

Sauce for Cake


1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbs flour
1 cup milk
2 Tbs butter
2 tsp vanilla

1.  Place all ingredients in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan over medium heat.


2.  Cook until thickened and bubbly.  Pour over warm cake.
  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amanda! first of all, I was searching for the sauce recipe. Then I was attracted by your last name...My mother was a Melton from way-southern KY. any way, she called this dessert puddin'and dip. it was a real treat for us. her sister made the chocolate gravy in my family, and tiny little high rise biscuits to go along with. mmmm.

    ReplyDelete