2/01/2013

Lemon Cake with Fluffy White Frosting

"When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye."
- Cathy Guisewite

I only included this quote because a) it is funny, b) it is true, and c) I can't squeeze a lemon without getting it on the person sitting across from me.  This is not my recipe, but I will pass it along anyway.  I had a craving for lemony cake with lemony filling with fluffy frosting.  I scoured my mom's and my cookbook collections until I found a suitable recipe for Lemon Sponge Cake in the mountain cookbook we both adore.  The frosting is from my favorite cake cookbook - Southern Cakes (Nancie McDermott).  Many of our favorite dessert recipes (and Chocolate Gravy) are found between the covers of this book.  My copy is autographed by the person who collected the recipes!  I wrote all of my notes directly in my mom's copy of the book, and I will include a photo of that page, but they are indicted in the recipe by the use of italics.  I do not have step-by-step photos for this recipe, but the next time I make it I will try to remember to add them.

Lemon Sponge Cake

Mrs. Foister Kelly



Cake:

1 3/4 c sifted cake flour (Swans Down)
1 c sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 c (about 6) egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
6 egg yolks
1/4 c cold water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon extract (1 tsp fresh juice + 1 tsp zest)

1. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar and salt until soft mounds form.
2. Beat egg yolks with the cold water and flavorings.  Add to sifted dry ingredients all at once.
3. Beat for 1 minute at medium speed (beat by hand with wire whisk).
5. Fold batter into beaten egg whites.  Blend gently.
6. Pour in ungreased 10 inch tube pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes (45 minutes).  Invert and cool in pan.
7. Cut in three layers.  Fill, and frost with a fluffy white frosting.


Filling: 

would make spectacular pie filling!

1 c sugar
1/4 c cornstarch
1/4 c lemon juice (from 1 1/2 lemons)
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 c water
2 Tb butter
2 beaten egg yolks
3 tsp grated lemon rind (from 2 lemons)

1. Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in saucepan; add water.
2. Cook over medium heat until clear & thick.
3. Blend in yolks and continue cooking 2 more minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Remove from heat and stir in grated lemon rind, juice and butter.
5. Cool thoroughly before filling cake layers.

Fluffy White Frosting:

1/2 c water
1 c sugar
2 egg whites

1. Boil sugar and water gently 3 minutes without stirring.
2. Boil additional 5-10 minutes until it holds a thread ~2" off the back of a spoon.
3. Beat egg whites til shiny and voluminous.
4. Pour syrup into egg whites while beating on high speed (do NOT pour in all at once, pour in a steady stream; keep the mixer running on its highest setting so the frosting cooks but doesn't turn into an egg white omelet).
5. Continue beating 4-5 minutes.



NOTE:  Awesome!  Good lemon flavor in cake.  Frosting may need either 1 tsp vanilla or lemon extract.


No comments:

Post a Comment