2/01/2013

Pineapple Rice

"Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."
- Mitch Hedberg

This recipe was passed down to me by my mamaw (mom's mom).  She and my papaw loved it.  When I announced a pulled pork barbecue with all the fixin's for my wedding reception, Mamaw suggested this recipe.  I was so incredibly nervous the first time I made it.  What if the egg scrambles instead of thickening?  What if it turns out gross instead of delicious?  Eventually I got over it, made the pot of rice, and fell in love.  This is truly more of a rice pudding or dessert rice, but it certainly pairs well with some roasted hog and homemade barbecue sauce.

Pineapple Rice


2 cups white rice (you can use minute rice, I used Great Value long-grain enriched white rice)
4 cups water
2 tbs butter
1 can crushed pineapple
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup sugar

1. Add rice, water, and butter to a 4 qt sauce pan.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the liquid is mostly absorbed.


2. Stir sugar into rice.


3. I beat the egg in a measuring cup so I had a handle that was easy to grip.  Begin to stir the rice:  holding the beaten egg about 6 inches above the sauce pan, dribble the egg into the center of the rice with one hand while you stir continuously with a wooden spoon in the other hand.  Do this slowly!  You do not want scrambled eggs in your pineapple rice.  A few drips at a time or a thin, steady stream are the best way to add the egg.  Sorry there is no photo of me streaming the egg into the rice.  I have but 2 hands, and everyone else was previously engaged and could not assist me in my food-blogging endeavor.  This is a photo of the rice after the egg has been added.  Very creamy texture!


4. Stir in vanilla and pineapple.


5. Bring rice back to a simmer until the texture is like creamy oatmeal.  Basically you need to absorb/evaporate some of the liquid from the pineapple.  Why not drain it?  Because you want the pineapple flavor to be absorbed into the rice.


6. Serve as a side or as a dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment