1/18/2013

Twix Cake

“My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already.” 
― Dave Barry

This is a cake of many names: Heath Cake, Twix Cake, Better Than Almost Anything Cake, Better Than Sex Cake, Richer Than Paul Newman... You can top it in just as many ways, and this is just my personal favorite topping.  I've also eaten it with Heath Milk Chocolate Toffee Bits (they tend to melt) and crushed Butterfinger candy bars.  You can also mix it up and do a white cake and chocolate instead of caramel ice cream topping.  I've never made it with anything but chocolate cake and caramel topping and either Twix or Heath Bits.  I will add a cautionary note:  This is the richest cake I've ever put in my mouth.  I cut it into at least 15 pieces, and they are still 600+ calories each if my calculations are accurate.  Also, this needs time to chill thoroughly so the stuff you pour on soaks into the cake.


Twix Cake


1 chocolate cake mix of your choice (German, Fudge, Devil's Food, plain-old-chocolate)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 jar Smucker's Caramel Ice Cream Topping
1 8oz tub Cool Whip
6 Twix candy bars (frozen)

1. Prepare and bake the cake according to package directions in a 9x13 pan.  I did 2 8x8 square disposable pans because I was taking one of them to girls' night and the other was staying home.

2. As soon as you remove it from the oven, use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes in the surface of the cake.  Don't just poke a few - poke the thing full of holes!



3. Once you have the holes poked, pour the condensed milk slowly and evenly across the top (I like to fill each hole) and then spread it out as best as you can.


4. After the cake has cooled, pour the caramel across the top just as you did the condensed milk.


5. Spread the Cool Whip on top of that.  Tap the spoon/spatula/knife against the surface of the Cool Whip to make it peaked, or drag it through just the very top of the Cool Whip to make a swirly-wavy pattern.



6. Before you open the frozen candy bars, lay them on the counter and whack them with the handle of a butter knife until they are broken into little pieces.  Then, holding the candy over the cake, open the wrapper and sprinkle the bits of candy bar evenly across the top of the cake.




7. Refrigerate for at least a couple of hours before serving, but believe me it is even better refrigerated overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment