2/08/2013

Beer Bread

"There is food in beer, but there is no beer in food. Beer is like liquid bread-it provides the same necessary nutrients. I say, just lay off the food." - Jim Koch 

First and foremost let me say:  I am not a beer drinker.  I don't have anything against people who do drink beer, it just ain't my thang.  I happen to disagree with the above quote, because while I don't drink beer, I do cook with it.  Chili and bread are my two favorite things to include a dark beer in.  Michelob Amber Bock and Michelob Dunkel Weisse are my all-time favorites to use.  Speaking of beer used in chili, my favorite recipe for such a thing is Rachael Ray's Indian Summer Turkey Chili - absolutely divine!  Back to the bread, though.  Beer bread is just plain old good stuff.  Tastefully Simple makes a mix, but as expensive as it is for no more than what you're getting, why not just throw these 4 ingredients together and bake up a batch that tastes better than what you pay that high price for?  I urge you...look at the label on a beer bread mix.  Nothing special in it.  Once you bake this, I doubt you'll go back to a mix!  While you're at it, head on over to Amanda's Snowy Day Chili - they go great together!

Beer Bread



1 12oz dark beer (Michelob Amber Bock or Dunkel Weisse)

3 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
4 tbs butter, melted

1. Mix the flour and sugar together.


2. Slowly pour in the beer (it will foam!) and mix with a fork.


3. Add melted butter.  Stir rapidly (or whisk) until thick and smooth.


4. Grease and flour a 7" loaf pan (1lb).  Pour batter into pan.



5. Bake at 350ยบ for 40-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.  Turn bread out of the loaf pan, and let it cool for 5 minutes before slicing and buttering...if you can wait, that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment