10/17/2013

Mashed Cauliflower

"Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education."
- Mark Twain

"What I say is that, if a fellow really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow."
- A.A. Milne

Scene:  dreary, drizzly, misty, foggy fall day.  Three-year-old boy watches Cars.  Adult female grows hungry, decides a bowl of steaming mashed potatoes would be good.  Unfortunately, traditional mashed potatoes are not quite a menu option.  Enter a bag of cauliflower florets prepared earlier in the week to eat with Ranch Veggie Dip.

I have been hearing for years now how cauliflower makes an excellent substitute for potatoes, whether you are trying to lighten up or simply trying something new.  I made cauliflower puree a few months ago in an attempt to be "Deceptively Delicious" and get my kids to eat more veggies.  It was a disastrous first attempt, but I noticed that the puree did taste similar to potatoes.  Slightly earthy, but obviously easy to flavor up.  After searching for a recipe to suit me, I discovered that most of them called for things like sour cream, chicken broth, or other ingredients I didn't have available in small amounts.  So, I did what I usually do when faced with no recipe for what I want:  I experimented.  The end result is one you'll have to taste for yourself.  I couldn't believe how well it turned out, and as a bonus, I think I may have cracked open the flavor combination of my favorite fish dish, Scrod Jason, from Leverock's in the St. Pete Beach area of Florida.


Mashed Cauliflower


Serves:  2
Weight Watchers PP Value:  3

2 cups cauliflower florets, washed and trimmed of most of the stem
2 tbs water
1 tbs butter (I used Blue Bonnet vegetable oil blend)
1 tsp pre-minced garlic (or 1 clove of fresh, minced)
1 chicken bouillon cube
1/2 tsp dried Spanish thyme
2 tbs fat-free milk
2 tbs Parmesan, grated

1.  Place cauliflower and water in microwave safe bowl.  Cover tightly with plastic wrap.  Pierce wrap in about 4 places to vent the steam.  Microwave on high 3 minutes.



2.  In a small microwave safe bowl (I used a ramekin), mix together butter, garlic, bouillon, thyme, and milk.  In 30 second increments, microwave the butter mixture alongside the cauliflower for a total of 2 minutes on high.  Stir or swirl the small bowl every 30 seconds.



3.  Carefully remove the plastic wrap from the cauliflower.  Mash florets with a fork.



 4.  Add butter mixture, stir. 


5.  Add Parmesan cheese, stir.




No comments:

Post a Comment