1/14/2014

Granny's Christmas Dip version 2.0

"A shot of Tabasco sauce. It burns, but you don't have to worry about the headache anymore."
Jimmy Reed

My family loves Tabasco.  Let me rephrase that, my uncles, dad, and brother love Tabasco.  The flavor is unlike any other hot pepper sauce.  You can't substitute wing sauce or any other cayenne-based sauce and get the same results.  The others have far too much vinegar.  My granny made this dip every holiday, and it was a favorite of everyone in attendance.  My dad and uncles would gather around the bowl, and if you weren't quick enough you didn't get any before they had it eaten.  I have been tasked with deciphering the flavor profile of that dip.  Eighteen years since I last tasted it the way Granny made it, but I can still feel the back-of-the-throat burn that you don't think is coming and the distinct flavor the French dressing lends.  Several years ago, my papaw gave me vague instructions as to the ingredient list, but no measurements.  Once upon a time, I came very close to hitting the nail on the head.  I wrote down the measurements I used and then promptly LOST the paper.  This year I found one version I had written out, and I think this may be the recipe I concocted the year everyone "oohed" and "aahed" over just how close I'd come to getting it right.  Granny passed away when I was only 13, and with no warning it was coming I had no time to get copies of the recipes held in her memory.  This is as close as I'll get to tasting Granny's dip again.


Granny's Christmas Dip version 2.0


2 8oz cream cheese, room temp
1/2 c mayonnaise (We use Hellmann's Mayonnaise with Olive Oil)
2 tsp Worcestershire
6-10 tsp Tabasco (I used 10!)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 c French dressing


1.  Cream all ingredients together.




2.  Chill.

3.  Serve with crackers or veggies.

Note: if you add more dressing, add more tabasco

No comments:

Post a Comment