1/12/2014

Baked Beans

"Hunger makes raw beans taste sweet."
-Dutch Proverb

I've never eaten raw beans, but I doubt that even if I were starving they would taste sweet.  Though sweet beans does conjure up a funny memory.  Once upon a time, after my mom had gone back to college as a non-trad student, my dad, brother, and I decided to surprise her with dinner.  We made steak, rolls, baked beans, and pineapple upside down cake.  The rolls were hard as rocks, the pineapple upside down cake was a disaster, and the baked beans were candied.  Much of this was blamed on me, but it was a breakdown in communication between 3 chefs, and at the time I was only about 11 years old.  Lesson learned, don't put too much brown sugar in the beans!  People look at baked beans and think, I don't have time for that.  They really don't take long, and they go with just about any down-home food you can cook.

Baked Beans


2 15oz cans Van Camp's Pork & Beans
1 yellow onion (2.5" diam), minced
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 - 1/3 cup mustard

1.  Empty beans into skillet, discard lump of fat if there is one.  Add remaining ingredients.


2.  Bring to a bubble over medium heat.  Lower heat to medium-low, but maintain a slow simmer.

3.  Stir frequently until beans are thick (when you stir you should be able to see the bottom of the skillet for half a second before it oozes back together) and onions are tender.


4.  Turn heat to the lowest setting to keep warm until ready to serve.  Stir occasionally to prevent scorching.

No comments:

Post a Comment